Wednesday, August 24, 2005

WFRP Update 28

As dawn broke once again, I evaluated my situation. Low on coins and time I decided that I must seek out the teller of my tale instead of merely waiting for him. I must extract the knowledge that I required from him instead of waiting for it to fall from his mouth. To this end I started scouring the town, desperately trying to discover the whereabouts of my little friend. It was only with sheer luck that I encountered the adventurer as I stumbled my way about the city. As I chanced upon him he recognized me and, to my great shock and surprised, offered to buy me an ale. Sensing a change in my luck, I immediately accepted.

As the first taste passed our lips, I pressed the little man for more of his tale.
"Just couldn't wait, eh? I get that a lot. So, after my near perfect ambush of the guards, we continued our march to the cliffs beneath Wittgendorf castle. There wasn't much to see. Seen one cave entrance you seen 'em all. We hustled back to camp pretty quick, even with Magdelaine complaining and moaning all the way back.
"When we got there, the outlaws demanded that we recount the battle for them. They seemed genuinely surprised that such an ill equipped group such as ourselves could defeat half a dozen guards. They kept asking what our secret was. I could sense the desperation in their voices and see the defeat that was creeping into their eyes. So, I did what needed to be done. I told them about the virtues of Sigmar; about how he had talked to me directly and his promise to work through me to defeat the evil that infested this area. Now I might have stretched the truth when I told them that anyone who would follow me would share in the blessing of Sigmar, but they needed some real leadership, so it worked out for the best. They were a stubborn lot, however. It took me almost two days of preaching to them to convince them that I could lead them to victory. Eventually I got them sold on the idea of assaulting the castle with us. I even managed to convince their so called leader that it was her idea!
This lead to having a small fit of laugher and nearly falling off of his stool. When he calmed down he continued.
"We got them to supply us with a few necessities and we started off towards the cave again. No ambushes this time; we couldn't have sprung one if we wanted, what with Magdelaine complaining and whining the whole way. Eventually we get to the cave mouth again and the two outlaws that accompanied us offer to follow us in and watch the rear. Remember this! Never turn people down when they offer to follow you...at the very least they can function as a distraction for some evil nasty beast! So we start into this tunnel. And once again I am amazed at the lengths that you people feel you need go....why does this damn entrance have to be over a mile in length? What's wrong with just having a short jog? But no! Everything has to be hell and damn near gone. It's like their is some great conspiracy to wear my legs down to the size of a dwarfs brain!!"
Shaking his head he continues. "And once again, my foppish companions would have become so many lost souls if it was not for me! This warren of tunnels and caves was as complex as any chaos warped labyrinth could ever be. I'm sure that Elpham was in love with this place and never wanted to leave. Rudolpho seemed convinced that he knew every in and out of the place and even went so far as to try and keep a map. HA!! He couldn't map his way out of an outhouse!! Once he started getting lost it was up to my memory to get us back on track. And even then, he was convinced that his chicken scratches stilled showed the proper way for us to go. I might have even believed him if he hadn't insisted that we take a left turn into a solid wall. After that I took charge; just as I should have done in the first place.
"It took us a few hours to finally explore all of the ins and outs of the caves, but for me it was a simple walk. I even let Elpham and the others play with the disgusting creatures that we found down there. Elpham seemed to be so close to heaven when the cave squigs came bouncing around the corner and he got to bash their heads in...although come to think of it, that's all they are. Well, head and teeth. Think of a mouth on legs and you'll have the right idea. There were some bats and some annoyingly ugly chaos beast as well. But we handled them with ease. If it hadn't been for my companions screaming in terror and whimpering in fear, I don't know that I would have ever pulled out my weapons. As it was I made a few token shots just to give them some hope. They have to learn to fight sometime. I can't be around to protect them all the time."
Another round of ales interrupted the story and I pressed him for more of the tale.
"Well, eventually we did find the great stair case that everyone was talking about. And once again, yea damned long shanks had to make the thing the size of a mountain!!! I had to climb up the damn side of the damn mountain again!! Them two outlaws followed behind me and we was real quiet sneaking up. Although when the one fella found the trap door and started screaming about a three eyed monster on the other side I had some doubts. But better safe than sorry, so, I send in Elpham again. The boy may not have much under his helmet, but since he doesn't seem to suffer any when people hit him on it, I figure that he's the one to go first.
"We pile out of the trap door and finally get to see the inside of the Wittgendorf castle! The part that we be in had fallen partly to ruin and was inhabited by the worse example of sickly long shanks that I had ever seen, but we was inside. We did some looking around and since we was all alone up there, we start planning our assault on the inner fane. Now, this was interesting, we...."
I interrupted him at that point by asking if he remembered the directions through the caves, saying that it was purely for academic purposes.
"The directions through the caves? Damn boy why are you so interesting in that bit of garbage? I'm talking about a small handful of blessed souls going up against a castle full of mutants and chaos daemon's and you want to know which way I turned? Damnation! Even after all these years I can recall that with ease. We come in, turn left, go straight, jump the river, take the second exit and crawl up them damn stairs! Now, we were working on gettin'...."

But I could hear no more! I had my knowledge and I rushed from the inn....too bad I had underestimated the wee man's cunning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home