Wednesday, June 22, 2005

WFRP Update 22

It had been weeks since I had seen a sign of the little man. My contacts in the town claimed that it was normal for him to disappear for long stretches like this and that I should just bid my time. And then one night he came staggering in to the tavern, taking his seat like nothing had happened. He spotted me and ushered me over.
"Still looking for some tales, young-un? Well, buy me a pint or two and remind me where my exploits last took thee."

After getting settled and reminding him of his escape from the three feathers inn, a dark look crossed his face.

"Ahh, yes. Our final encounter with the witch Iltelka. That encounter could have gone much better. We should have known something was up. As we were travelling towards the signal tower, we kept hearing noises from the opposite river bank...Corobath kept claiming that he saw something green following us. Probably should have listened to the man."

"When we arrived at the tower it was in the middle of a downpour. If the weather hadn't been so bad, I'm sure that I could have seen the ambush that lay ahead of us, but my eyes were on my feet that morning."

"Not trusting to the slippery framework that still surrounded the tower, we called up to the dwarfs and asked them to pull us up. Rudolpho had some great plan that we would give a call out if something was going wrong, but even he couldn't follow his own plan. I watched Elpham, Magdalaine and that fool Rudolpho all get pulled up into the tower and disappear from view. We hadn't heard a yelp from them; either good or bad, so it fell upon me to rescue the fools from their own folly. When the swing came back down, Corobath took the seat and I stood in his lap, dagger at the ready, poised to leap into danger. As we get pulled up and can see inside the tower, I spy 4 humans and a dwarf, weapons at the ready, with evil grins on their faces. I can see the others lying on the floor. Since they was wearing bags on their heads I figure there be a good chance that they was still alive. Seeing them there fuelled some inner rage and I leapt from Corobath into the room, my dagger slashing across them villains and spilling their blood on the floor. Corobath was right behind me, swinging that tree he calls a staff. Now, it turns out that the dwarf and one of the humans is wizard types and starts throwing magic around. The dwarf even disappeared from view. Sneaky little bugger!! Hearing that the true heroes had arrived, the rest of the fools start pulling the sacks off of their heads and start looking for a weapon. It was a damn good thing that we had them goons surprised and off balance, otherwise my companions would have been cut to pieces in seconds. As it was they actually made a good showing of themselves. Although Rudolpho must have taken a nasty blow to the head; he started acting just like that crazy stump-stomper, Elpham and went charging into the fray. I suppose that it was better than him trying to part my hair with his arrows, but he should have been looking out for that wizard. How his arm stayed on after that blast of magic I'll never know. It looked like he would drop dead if someone looked at him sideways. I was doing my best to make sure that these goons never bothered anyone again. It looked like we had been victorious, but then these damned magic bolts start coming out of nowhere...seems that the stinky long hair was hiding his tracks with magic and blasting us from the shadows like some coward. Once them goons was down, me and Elpham was scouring the tower looking for him, with a bit of help from Magdelaine. Corobath joined in as soon as he had seen to Rudolpho's wounds.
Them bolts would rip out from somewhere and we'd rush there, only to be shot in the back. Although once Corobath covered us with the pile of ashes, that stopped. We was looking through the dust for something moving when we hear someone on the scaffolding cry out and then a thump
from down below. We lowered Elpham down and we he came back it we had a damn big surprise; he was carrying some lady who looked at lot like Iltelka. Well we got her tied up and...."

The little man's voice trailed off as his eyes tracked a pair of cloaked travellers who had just entered the inn.
"I'll tell ya the rest tomorrow...maybe" he said as he gathered up his possessions and scrambled out the back way. The travellers caught sight of him and gave chase immediately. To this day I still have no idea why they were so interested in him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home